Friday, April 01, 2011

The Poisoned Pen Conference



I will be speaking at The Poisoned Pen's Writers Conference in Phoenix, Arizona, this June 24th and 25th. On Friday afternoon, I'll be on a "History and Mystery Tea" from 3-5 p.m. with Laurie R. King, Peter Lovesay, Lauren Willg, Jaqueline Winspear, and Patricia Wynn. Then I'll be doing another session Saturday morning. Other authors participating include Alafair Burke, Jan Burke, Michael Koryta, Sophia Littlefield, and many more. (You can click on the above flyer to see it larger.)

The conference will be held at the Arizona Biltmore Resort and Spa. Accomodation is only $89/night (plus taxes); the registration fee for the conference is $50. As most of you know, The Poisoned Pen is one of the country's top independent mystery bookstores. They do a wonderful job of supporting up and coming authors, sell signed first editions on line, and have even started their own press to keep favorite series in print when their authors are dropped by New York publishers.

Registration is limited to 125, so if you're interested, you'd better hurry!

7 comments:

Steve Malley said...

Wow, that would almost be worth living in the States for. Almost. ;)

I can't be there, but wish I could.

vp said...

Darn, I was hoping that you might be at the ALA Annual conference this year since it is in NOLA. Don't you want to spend some time with about 28,000 librarians? I would be all over the Poisoned Pen conference, but ALA runs June 25th through the 30th.

Charles Gramlich said...

You are getting around these days!

cs harris said...

Steve, it does look like a great gathering, doesn't it?

VP, Oh, I will be at the ALA conference! I fly back to New Orleans Saturday night, then do a panel at the ALA on Sunday morning, followed by a booksigning. I never go anywhere or do anything, so don't ask me why these two events ended up on top of each other.

Charles, I want a vacation.

Kevinpars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan/DC said...

I grew up in Phoenix and have this advice: wear sunscreen and visit the Heard Museum. It's a small museum chock-ful of interesting history and beautiful objects.

http://www.heard.org/

As for the conference, you're in very good company. I heard Jacqueline Winspear at Politics & Prose just last Saturday, and I heard Laurie King speak at a public library in London in September 2009. Both are engaging and intelligent speakers. Some authors write much better than they speak, other authors speak much better than they write; I'm sure you shine at both. Enjoy the conference.

cs harris said...

Susan, yes, sunscreen is a must. Since I carefully avoid the sun these days I burn very easily. The museum sounds fascinating, although unfortunately this is going to be a rush visit so I probably won't make it. Maybe next time...