Sunday, October 08, 2006

Gods' Hat-trick and Candy's Crise de Confiance


This is one of the parts of writing a book that I hate. The story is written, the major revisions done. Now I get to read through the manuscript, over and over again, looking for the niggling little things that I know aren’t quite right and trying to figure out how to make them better. Of course, if I KNEW how to phrase that sentence more gracefully, or how to end that scene on a more pungent note, I’d have fixed it before. The fact that it’s been allowed to slide past until now means I don’t have a clue how to make it better. So this stage always entails much gnashing of teeth and spiraling fits of frustration. I have a continuous headache. The thought of reading those chapters again makes me vaguely nauseas. And then there’s that creeping fear that I won’t be able to fix it, that I’m really, truly an awful writer who must have been crazy to think I could make a go of this business as a career.

You don’t want to be around me at this stage in the production of a manuscript.

On a bright note: WHEN GODS DIE received a starred review from LIBRARY JOURNAL! Added to the starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and Kirkus, it’s like winning the Triple Crown. I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps the reviewers are simply feeling sorry for me because of Katrina. (See above, I’m really truly an awful writer who must have been crazy…)

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

We don't want to be around you at this stage, you say? Does that mean we should all avoid the meeting tonight? I can't believe you're that awful. Crazy, maybe, but not awful. ;)