Monday, October 27, 2014

Why I Wrote Zip Last Week

After years of putting it off, last week we finally had our upstairs air conditioner replaced. Turns out the old hvac closet is too small to meet new code regulations, which means the system had to be relocated to the attic. While we were at it, we decided to replace all the ducting, boxes, and vents (we've had mold issues ever since Katrina) and install a duct in the master bedroom closet since it gets hot enough in there in the summer to melt shoes. That meant I had to completely empty the closet (because, drywall dust and dirty workmen).
All those workmen in the house, opening up holes in the attic, pounding, ripping, sawing, dragging heavy equipment in and out, etc, meant I had to lock up cats. Huck and Angel were shut in my office, and Huck showed his displeasure by claiming my desk chair and giving me the evil eye every time I suggested I might want to type. Everyone else just howled.
And then, once the work was all finished, I had the joy of cleaning up and putting everything back in the closet (still working on that). What fun--not. Although I did find some things I'd forgotten about, including my childhood collection of dolls in native costume, added to every time we visited a new country or my dad was sent somewhere (he was in Intelligence). Of course I had to stop and play with that. I also decided to use the opportunity to try on everything with an eye to my upcoming March book tour (yes, it is happening; more on that when the dates are finalized).  That was also fun--not.
Between the galleys for the hardcover Who Buries the Dead and mass market Why Kings Confess, Scout's death, and now the hvac overhaul, it feels like ages since I wrote anything on this new book. To work.

15 comments:

Helena said...

I can't imagine the disruption! Still, if it reduces the mold spores in your system it will be a good thing. I hope the cats have forgiven you, and will let you back into your spiffy new chair soon.

JustWingingIt said...

On the upside, you can now write in temperature controlled comfort.


Veronica

Lynne said...

"Well, my pretty, what lovely ductwork you have!" Think of it this way, Candy - next summer will be heaven because everything will work...and your shoes won't melt. I just had an electrician in for an outlet in the kitchen so I sympathize. It's amazing how a mess develops so fast.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Huck, a cat of discerning taste ;0 Our kitchen could use a bit of a reno, but I'm not yet at the point i feel I could endure the uproar and chaos, not to mention the whole planning stage. Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

c- wow that sound like a like of trouble - but there is nothing better than cool comfort. my apt gets so hot in summer my peanut butter melts in the cabinet. walking down memory lane can also be fun and a good distraction. good luck with the writing. and here's hoping that book tour comes my way!
best, ali

Charles Gramlich said...

Such disruptions are killers to me.

cs harris said...

Helena, yes, especially important since I've developed asthma.

Veronica, well, my office is downstairs. But it's a relief knowing it's done.

Lynne, now we have the old a/c closet that needs to be fitted out into something usable. Although the thought of new closet space is exciting!

Barbara, I redid my kitchen less than two years before Katrina, then had to do it all over again. It's an awful job.

cs harris said...

Ali, thanks.

Charles, it was the stress that hit me the worst.

Susan J. said...

It's such a pain when you have workmen in, your house doesn't seem your own! You will be so relieved to get cleared up. We're getting new windows fitted soon, not looking forward to that!
This has nothing to do with this post but have you by any chance seen Bernard Cornwell's new book on the battle of Waterloo? It's his first factual book and gives an hour by hour account of the four days, including the other linked battles, like Quatre Bras and Ligny. I just finished reading it, it's absolutely brilliant and so moving, quite sad in parts. Full of eye witness accounts and letters of the time. He is also very fair in his assessment of what happened, particularly the role of the Prussians and that wonderful old warrior, Blucher.

Anonymous said...

c-completely off topic but i just finished re-reading Midnight Confessions and i was thinking the whole time- Candy lives there now. and i hope the hospitals are better! so much about that time and what happened in New Orleans that i never knew. i'm glad i read it again. best, Ali

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a week. I hate going through it, but now that it is over it must feel like you've accomplished a lot and can go to writing with a renewed purpose (hopefully). I can't wait to hear more about the book tour. Love Huck. I think we hear what his alter ego's name is in the next book, don't we? Sabena

cs harris said...

Susan, we had new, hurricane resistant windows installed a couple of years ago. It made surprisingly little mess and was over fairly quickly. So hopefully it won't be too bad. And I hadn't heard about the new Cornwell book; will have to look for it.

Ali, thanks. I wrote that book right after I moved here. It was a lot of fun and gave me the courage to shift to historical mysteries.

Sabena, yes, he gets his name in WHO BURIES THE DEAD.

Susan J. said...

Hope my windows are as stress free as yours were. One amazing fact to come out of Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo book is the story of the last living survivor of the battle, who actually died at the age of 95 in 1904! She was a five year old child at the time of the battle, called Elizabeth Gale and she was the daughter of a rifleman in the 95th. She recalled tearing up bandages to help her mother tend the wounded and remembered being very frightened by the sight of a dead soldier staring blankly at the battlefield. No such thing as childhood in those days!

Cathy said...

At least Huck just pouted. After a tornado did some damage to our home our dog has problems with bad weather. When they replaced our roof we had to give her tranquilizers so she wouldn't stroke over all the banging.

cs harris said...

Susan, the thought of all those women and children following the armies has always horrified me.

Cathy, how horrible for both you and your dog. Tornadoes have always terrified me. One of our old cats, Press, refused to be caught when we evacuated for Katrina so that we finally had to leave him (with lots of food and water). He was a big part of my stress when I heard what the storm had done to the city, and we were amongst the first group back, desperate to rescue him. Fortunately we had a two-story house so he had been able to retreat to the second floor when the water came in, but ever after that, anytime it started to storm, he'd jump up on whatever was handy and refuse to get down!