Friday, May 16, 2014

RT's Bourbon Street Pub Crawl

Imagine 2,000 dedicated, hardcore romance readers, ten publishers set up in ten Bourbon St. bars, free drinks, free beads, loudly blaring music, and a bevy of male cover models: that was last night's RT Bourbon Street Pub Crawl. If you ask me, the authors stationed at each bar were largely extraneous, since (unsurprisingly) the beads and the booze (and some mysterious giveaway at the end to those who collected at least seven out of the ten sets of beads) were the real draws.

I am glad I went, though, because half a dozen readers did come seek me out and talk to me (if only the music had been a little quieter). One blog reader, "vp," found some old F. van Wyck Mason paperbacks in her collection--including Rivers of Glory--and actually brought them to me! (She said she reread them first and warned me they have not aged well.) Thank you again, Vickie; that was an amazing thing to do.

I also had a good time talking to  new Penguin author Jan DeLima, who writes urban fantasy, and another author whose name I never did quite catch (did I mention the LOUD MUSIC?).

Thanks to a late, unseasonable cold front that came through on Wednesday, the temperature was balmy, which helps when it comes to Bourbon Street. And coming up on Saturday is the Lemonade Social, which I trust will be a bit more book friendly?

8 comments:

Susan J. said...

Bourbon Street sounds so exotic. I wish I could transport myself there. My husband and I love African American blues music. We were so sad when Katrina hit New Orleans. I do hope the African Americans that we saw in the news reports have recovered in the aftermath. We went to a Blues Festival and saw a brilliant African American artist, who came over to England, called Eugene Hideaway Bridges and he came on stage rather strangly in a Confederate greatcoat and sang wonderfully, without the need of a microphone.

vp said...

It was a pleasure to get to chat with you, even if chatting actually involved sort of screaming at each other. So glad that I was able to give you the books, although, as I warned, they haven't really aged well. Thanks for signing my copy of Night in Eden, that book is very special to me.

I stopped by the Lemonade Social on Saturday but you were deep in conversation with some of your readers and I didn't want to interrupt. Hopefully, we'll meet again and get a chance to talk with out all of the Bourbon street hoo ha in the background. I am determined to convince you to give Historical romance another go. ;)

vp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cs harris said...

Susan, some did not come back,but it's hard fro people from New Orleans to live any place else.

vp, I can't thank you enough for the books; it was so incredibly thoughtful. And I'm sorry you didn't come up during the Lemonade Social. I talked to people so long they practically had to kick me out of the room!

Susan J. said...

How sad that they did not return to New Orleans. It sounds a fascinating place. I notice one of your romance books is set in New Orleans, I might try that one sometime, it seems to be available here.

cs harris said...

Susan, while MIDNIGHT CONFESSIONS is a romance, it was also my first mystery--I wanted to try my wings in the romance genre before I started the Sebastian series.

raybanoutlet001 said...

zzzzz2018.5.2
coach outlet
asics shoes
polo ralph lauren outlet
canada goose jackets
chargers jerseys
nike air jordan
canada goose jackets
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
coach outlet

Unknown said...

www1024



michael kors outlet
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors outlet
basketballl shoes
ugg boots
issey miyake