Friday, February 03, 2012

The Method to My Madness...Or Do I Mean the Madness to My Method?



My last post provoked some questions about why I divide my manuscript into four parts. I haven't always organized my WIP (Work in Progress) this way. When I first started writing (back in the Dark Ages, with a computer that had to go through DOS and used two five-inch floppy disks), I saved each chapter on my computer in a separate file. It was a royal pain, because chapters are artificial, fluid things, and I was always having to shift scenes from one file to the next.

And then, about fifteen years ago, I started reading books on screenwriting (this has since become popular, but at the time no one was advocating it). Screenwriters trained in the process popularized by Syd Field divide their stories into three parts: Beginning (first quarter), Middle (second and third quarters) and End. The Middle is bisected by what Field called the Midpoint, where typically something BIG happens to change the direction of the story. Something significant should also happen at the end of Part One and of course at the end of Part Three, to provoke the Climax.

So, since my books are usually around 400 manuscript pages long, it made sense to start dividing them into four, 100-page chunks that roughly corresponded to this way of looking at a story. It's basically a tangible way for me to assess how my story is developing. It's also a lot easier to handle a book both physically and on the computer in 100-page chunks, since 400 pages can get pretty unwieldy.

Lately, younger screenwriters have adopted a system that divides stories into EIGHT segments, with something significant happening at the end of each segment. I've actually started using this system, too, when I lay out my plotting cards. But I still stick to my old four-part scheme when it comes to the actual writing.

An added benefit to approaching a book this way is that as I'm writing, I get a nice sense of accomplishment when I get to move on to the next "part". It's an artificial milepost, but when you're slogging through a process that can take up to a year, it helps.

And yes, that is a copy of When Maidens Mourn! It arrived on my doorstep yesterday, hot off the press.

15 comments:

paz said...

Oh, that Maiden's book is a sight for sore eyes,and impatient hands...

I really like the idea of the four part organizational scheme. I am about to embark in my next writing project, and will definitely try it out.

The eight part scheme seems to be devolving into chapters again. But good to know what to blame next time I complain that movies these days are ridiculously manic!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting for us non-writers to hear the process of how you put it all together. And what a tease you are showing us that book. Cruel.... sabena

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Oooh yeah ... I checked earlier today to see just when in March your Maidens would be released ... I'm smiling ;0

JoAnne said...

I just checked in our integrated library system today and the title has already been entered, just no details yet. Very exciting. And with that cover, it's not going to stay on the shelf!

cs harris said...

Paz, the main benefit to the 8 part scheme at the plotting stage is that it reminds you to keep the story zigzagging in unexpected ways, and to evenly space out your "big" scenes.

Sabena, and here I thought everyone would be excited to know that it's ready to ship!

Barbara, well then you know more than me! I'm off to check...

JoAnne, that's interesting! I know last year a lot of libraries had it on their shelves weeks before its official release date.

Essex said...

March 6th is the date that I have down for Maiden's release - all pre-ordered from Amazon to download to Kindle at midnight! They are very reliable - last year I was awake at midnight when Shadows downloaded - so of course I stayed up to start reading it. Work suffered the next day but it was worth it!!

Anonymous said...

Seattle Public Library has had the title (Maidens) in there for several months now. I'm #1 on hold. King County doesn't have it in their catalog yet, but I keep checking. Oh and I have the Kindle copy on order at Amazon and the hardback copy on order at B&N. I'm covering all my bases. I order at the library to make sure demand for the books are high :-) Sabena

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool on the arrival of Maidens. I will put in an order today. Or actually, I'll wait to talk to you about whether you are having a signing or not.

Thanks for telling us about your four part system.

Essex said...

Btw, I also have to say that I am seriously admiring your table that you have Maidens perched upon . That is beautiful!

paz said...

Thanks to Essex, I just noticed the table. Is that a brass tea table? My parents still have one they brought from Istanbul.

Judith Starkston said...

I've sat through a number of workshops that aimed to explain the same process you've just described. Yours is far clearer and in many fewer words. Thanks for a crystal clear, simple summary of a good method for organizing the process of writing a novel.

cs harris said...

Essex, that's funny! I have to admit I'd do the same if I knew a book I was waiting for had just arrived.

Sabena, thank you for putting in the request to your library! It's only recently that I've realized how important that is in determining library orders.

Charles, I'm having a signing at Garden District on March 10, 2-4.

Essex and Paz, it's a gorgeous table my parents bought in Morocco in the 50s. I'll have to post a better photo of it.

Judith, thank you! Even though he's fallen from favor, I do recommend Syd Fields's books. I do, however, try to get my stories off to a faster start than he recommends, while still keeping that Something Big at the 1/4 mark.

Steve Malley said...

I've never been much of a printer-outer (especially since now I can edit on my tabletwhile reading the ebook manuscript), but your method does tempt me... :)

Steve Malley said...

Ah, who am I kidding?? I seem to back on the fountain pen again, writing the latest one out in longhand!

cs harris said...

Steve, I don't trust computers, so I print out whenever my paper copy gets so covered with corrections that I can't read it properly. Plus, I find a book just "reads" differently on a screen.