Monday, June 20, 2011

The 2011 American Library Association Meeting in New Orleans

Billed as the "world's largest and most dynamic library conference and exhibition," the annual American Library Association Conference will be coming to the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans from June 23-28. I'll be on a panel entitled "Mystery and Horror at Your Library" on Sunday morning, from 10:30-12:30, in Room 268 in the Convention Center. Although it's billed as a "panel," the instructions say "each author has been asked to speak for 12 minutes," so I'm not sure if this is going to be a typical panel with questions asked of all or some sort of serial individual presentation. And I don't know who else is on the panel because I can't seem to find it on their schedule.

At any rate, we're told that a "booksigning will follow after the panel, and one of the Penguin staffers will be there to facilitate the signing."

Then, at 1:00pm- 2:00pm, there will be another signing at the Penguin booth, #1422.

The ALA had their convention in New Orleans the summer of 2006, less than a year after Katrina. It was the first organization brave enough to return to New Orleans after the hurricane, which means the ALA holds a special place in all our hearts. When I signed that year, I was still living as a refugee and the city was such a mess we were wondering if it would ever be made right again. How much things have changed in just five years.

So any of you coming for the conference, please stop by the panel room or the Penguin booth and say "Hi."

And it's nasty hot down here, so come prepared for some heat.

4 comments:

vp said...

According to my schedule notes, your session includes Erica Spindler, Bill Loehfelm, S.J. Watson and Cammie McGovern. I'm sure it will be great! Can't wait to get back to NOLA, it's such a wonderful place.

Charles Gramlich said...

I tell you I hardly get out of the house in the summer but this is something I'd like to go to. I've never been strangely enough, even though I love everything to do with libraries.

Barbara Caridad Ferrer said...

I'd love to be down there but a) have no real reason and b) I'll be in NYC at RWA National.

Have fun!

cs harris said...

VP, thank you! See you there.

Charles, they give away lots of free books.

Barbara, thanks, and enjoy RWA.