Friday, July 31, 2009

Write with Fire



As those of you who read this blog with any regularity know, I belong to a great writers group called the Wordsmiths that’s been meeting at a local bookstore every Monday night for more than eight years (well, except for those memorable months in late 2005-06 when we met in my gutted house!). One of the Wordsmiths is fantasy and horror writer Charles Gramlich, who has just released a new book called Write with Fire. A professor of psychology by day, Charles has published everything from poetry and short stories to a stand-alone novel and a trilogy. Vampire stories, sword & sorcery, sword & planet, adventure, westerns, children’s tales, humor, and nonfiction—you name it, he’s probably written it (with a few significant exceptions!).

He’s been at this writer thing for more than twenty years, during which he’s spent a lot of time thinking about writing, talking about writing, and writing about writing. And now he’s gathered all his insightful thoughts together in Write With Fire: Thoughts on the Craft of Writing. As Charles himself says, “The first part [of the book] is mainly about the practical mechanics of writing. How do you shepherd ideas through the writing and editing process and into the final form needed for publication? It talks more about fiction than nonfiction but a lot of the articles are really about communicating with your writing, which applies to any genre. The second part deals more with theory and philosophy in writing. What kind of characteristics are common to writers? What makes and breaks a “page-turner?” The last and much shorter section consists of articles that are more personal to my life as a writer, such as my experiences after Hurricane Katrina.”

My own copy of Write with Fire hasn’t arrived yet. But after spending eight years talking about writing with this guy, I don’t have any hesitation promoting his work sight-unseen. It’d be hard to imagine a more honest, down-to-earth, practical, and savvy guy with whom to sit down and talk craft.

You can read more about Charles and his book here.

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, I was wondering for a bit if I know the guy you're talking about. Thanks very much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. You and Steve have always been wonderfully supportive. Thanks!

Lainey said...

Charles - I wish you great success. Sounds destined to be an essential reference for writers at all stages of their careers.

Charles Gramlich said...

Thanks, Lainey.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I searched for this on Amazon the other day and Couldn't find it - I want to get this book.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Actually it is listed now and I've just ordered it. Look forward to covering it on The Archive

Steve Malley said...

He does rock, doesn't he? :)

cs harris said...

My copy just arrived, and guess what? It's dedicated to the Wordsmiths! Thanks, Charles.

Unknown said...

lebron james shoes 2016
coach outlet
kate spade handbags
coach factory outlet
ralph lauren
jimmy choo
polo ralph lauren outlet online
nike roshe
michael kors outlet clearance
birkenstocks
20170113

Huyen said...

One thing I want to talk to you is thank you. Your posts help me open my mind. I find them very interesting. They ease me in the hard time. Thanks for sharing your articles.
boxkid free unblocked games
xmas jump online games to play
princess college graduation ball online