Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hallelujah!



Martin Cruz Smith is one of my all-time favorite writers. For me, sinking down into one of his books is a giddy, delicious treat. Because he's one of those rare authors who has resisted corporate publishing's demands to produce a new book every year, it isn't a treat I get to enjoy very often. But Three Sations--the latest Arkady Renko novel--has finally been released.

You can read the New York Times review here.

I haven't ordered it yet because I'm trying to find an autographed copy. There aren't many writers whose books I'll go out of my way to get signed, but Martin Cruz Smith is one of them. Unfortunately, his refusal to play in the publishing game means his signed books are hard to get. The only one I have--Red Square--I found by chance. So I'll probably have to admit defeat and simply buy an unsigned copy. I'm not going to be able to hold out for much longer...

11 comments:

Steve Malley said...

I'm already rubbing my hands in fiendish glee...

pax deux said...

Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I so liked the review I am also checking out the novels of the reviewer...
BTW, Just how much longer did you say we'd have to wait for Sebastian and Hero to resume their lives?

Anonymous said...

On a totally unrelated topic of your post, and tugging on what pax deux said,I just can't wait. I gave in and bought the oversized copy of What Remains of Heaven and will be cruising thru all five (now unmatched ;-) books as I just can't wait anymore. Sigh. Sabena

Lainey said...

Thanks for the rec. I reserved a copy at my public library branch. A comment in the review reminded me of Ian Rankin's John Rebus series.

cs harris said...

Steve, great mental image!

pax deux, Where Shadows Dance will be released at the beginning of March 2011.

Sabena, Sorry for the mismatch! I still haven't decided where I'm putting mine. It literally doesn't fit on the shelf with all my other paperbacks.

Lainey, have you read his earlier Arkady books? Gorky Park is almost 30 years old, and it's still wonderful.

orannia said...

This is a new-to- me author - I guess I'll just have to check out that review :)

Lainey said...

Candy - no, I haven't previously read anything by MCS. Looking forward to this one. I'm always looking for readable new authors lol.

Nelson said...

Candy - you can order signed copies from Book Passage, http://www.bookpassage.com/. Sometimes they are available on the website, but if not you can call them. I would also recommend that you check out his new website: www.martincruzsmith.com

cs harris said...

Orannia, I think MCS is my favorite living author.

Nelson, thank you!

Anonymous said...

my review here replica bags buy online look at here Ysl replica handbags my response replica ysl bags

Unknown said...

j3r54k0f86 a2p05d7l36 e1t80c8k77 f7s37w0b31 u9i29i0m85 s1z67v1s31