Wednesday, May 05, 2010

More Cover Copy

**

Here's the cover copy for The Babylonian Codex, the next C.S. Graham thriller due out this December. They let me do some tweaking, but this is it.

An ancient Biblical prophesy...
The convening of the richest and most powerful men on earth...
The sudden, mysterious death of the vice president.


When Iraq War vet October “Tobie” Guinness volunteers to remote view a priceless artifact looted from war-ravaged Baghdad, she unwittingly becomes the main target in the midst of a horrific bloodbath. Now a fugitive accused of murder, Tobie turns for help from her sometime partner, rogue CIA agent Jax Alexander. Ranging from a high mountain Moroccan kasbah and a medieval English church to a frozen Idaho lake, the two must race to unravel the secrets that link a long lost mosaic to a mysterious Biblical codex in time to stop a deadly cabal of wealthy, powerful zealots with a chilling plot to remake the world and bring on the Second Coming.


Incidentally, I almost lost my title at the last minute. Sales suddenly found both "Babylon" and "Codex" too scary. I mean, who ever heard of Babylon? And what IS a codex, anyway? But they finally calmed down and let me keep it. Which is a relief, since the entire book revolves around a McGuffin called the Babylonian Codex. To call it anything else would have been weird.

And if you're wondering about the significance of the photo of the Ravenna mosaic above, they used it on the cover. I received the first JPGs today, but I had some suggestions for changes, so you can't see it yet.

16 comments:

Susan/DC said...

Was there a reason for that specific mosaic? Does the Latin on the tablet have anything to do with it? My Latin is essentially nonexistent, but I think it refers to Christ qs the way to Truth and Life.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Very Cool ... At first glance I thought the figure was wearing a kilt! I have just finished my second, closer reading of the SSC series so I am now on the hunt for "The Archangel Project" ... HOW am I ever going to make it to the next Sebastian????? (Pardon the pun, but I have been known to tell my sons that situations like this 'build character'!)

cs harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cs harris said...

Susan, the mosaic is just one of about a dozen images I sent them to give them ideas. I never expected them to fall in love with it and simply use it on the cover. And I never gave the writing on the tablet a thought! What good eyes you have. It has nothing to do with the story, but it looks like it says,"Ego sum via veri-tas/et vita" which you're right, is "I am the way, the truth, and the life." In the cover, the tablet is covered up by the name, so no one will have to strain to remember their high school Latin.

Barbara, that's funny, it does look like a kilt! It's a strange image of Christ, dressed like a Roman soldier. And I'm sorry about the delay in the next Sebastian book! Hopefully Tobie and Jax's stories will help tide you over.

Bernita said...

"Sales suddenly found both "Babylon" and "Codex" too scary. I mean, who ever heard of Babylon? And what IS a codex, anyway?"

I find their reaction very scary.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait - it sounds delicious; and yes, it will tide me over just a little bit while I wait for my next Sebastian fix. And I agree with Bernita - "too scary"??? Are you kidding me. But then again, I look at the intelligence of some in this country (think red states) and pause - hmmmm...maybe they are right. But for the rest of us it sounds GREAT!!! Sabena

Steve Malley said...

Oddly enough, my thoughts are not of Babylon nor Codices, nor are they of cover copy. Instead, I was just struck by what a lovely name October is for a girl!

My prediction for this novel: NYT top 10. That's right, I said it. And I'll stand by it. :)

cs harris said...

Bernita, that was actually the word my editor used, "scary"! Fortunately I had her on my side, and another house brought out a thriller in April called The Shroud Codex.

Sabena, glad to hear it sounds good! It is a fun book.

Steve, I had a friend on a dig in Tennessee back in the 70's called October/Tobie. I've hugged the name to myself ever since, waiting for the right heroine. As for your predictions...Ah, if only!

Pax Deux said...

Does the vice president character actually die? Oh, too bad. An honest politician: truly fictional, mythical maybe, though regrettably so.

Can't wait to read the book now!

Charles Gramlich said...

It has a nice biblical feel to it. I like it.

cs harris said...

Pax deux, I guess I should have said there's been an election, so this is the new vice president. The old is alive and raising coon dogs in Kentucky.

Charles, that's good, since that's the idea!

Barbara Martin said...

Excellent cover for your book as it sets the mood.

I ditto on Steve's comment that you're going places with this one.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a brilliant read - can't wait. Love the mosaic

lx

orannia said...

I saw the mosaic and immediately thought of the medieval period...the Crusades, etc. I like it :)

What do they (Sales) mean, who has ever heard of Babylon? They are living here (as in Planet Earth), yes?

cs harris said...

Orannia, I don't have a clue where Sales were coming from on that one. I could sort of see their problem with "codex" if they don't read thrillers themselves, but Babylon?

Mike said...

The Babylonian Box of Clay Tablets might be more consistent, but most readers won't catch the nuance. Until it's explained in the book, most readers probably won't even know what a "codex" is.

Looking forward to reading the book!

Mike