Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lost Days



I might have been able to handle waking up Friday morning to that maddeningly familiar sound of wind and rain if I hadn’t looked over to see what time it was and realized our power was out. Again. Our recent experiences with Gustav have made me realize how very, very fond I am of electricity (not to mention the fact that I just spent $$$$$$$ at Whole Foods to restock my fridge and freezer).

It’s hard to concentrate under those conditions, but I was determined to do it, writing in longhand. Then our power came back on. Why is this a bad thing? Because my daughter’s power was still out. She came over dragging the contents of HER Whole Food-stocked fridge and a heavy dose of high anxiety. The truth is, it is hard to write when communities around you are going under water. It’s as if their cries of anguish are carried in the wind. And when you’ve seen your own house go under water, the resonance is painful.



Yes, Texas got the brunt of the storm, and what happened to Galveston was tragic. But coastal Louisiana is suffering a heart-breaking tragedy of their own, largely away from the media’s eye. Who out there has even heard of the Isle de Jean Charles?



Last night, we wandered down to the lake, a couple of blocks from our house, expecting to see some white caps and waves. We saw more than we expected. And looking back at the levees, and realizing how high they AREN’T, was a sobering experience.



Yet somehow, today, I MUST write.

9 comments:

Steve Malley said...

The stuff you write through-- you are SO my hero!

Barbara Martin said...

Sometimes the words you create during a trying period are the best ones. The photos tell more of the damage to the area than words ever could. Hang in there, Candy.

liz fenwick said...

Thinking of you and sending you focus vibes.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know what you mean by a fondness for electricity. When Lana and I were without it after Gustav we really understood how both of us are truly civilized people, not the savages we'd like to think. Electricity is good.

Luck with the writing.

Steve Malley said...

Write, Candy, write like the wind!!

cs harris said...

Steve, thanks so much for your words of encouragement.

Barbara, thanks.

Liz, I can use all the focus vibes I can get.

And Charles, electricity is very, very good.

Avery DeBow said...

Your tenacity shames and humbles me.

Philo said...

I just finished reading the Archangel Project. What a great read, I hope more are coming. By the way I bought the ebook version from Fictionwise.

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,A片,A,aio,a,av,a片免費看,A片,AV女優,AV,aio交友愛情館,AIO,A漫,AVDVD,免費A片,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,色情影片,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,色情漫畫,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,本土自拍,自拍,做愛,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊聊天,情色視訊,視訊聊天室,UT聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室
豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天,視訊交友網,視訊美女,走光,巨乳,偷拍,性感影片,無碼,影片,plus,plus論壇,85CC,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片