Friday, May 13, 2011

Getting Scary

**

That's the second story of the cathedral you're looking at here; the street level is far, far below.

Of course, the Corps keeps assuring us that New Orleans will be safe...probably. That's after they put up this map to scare the bejesus out of us:

**
My house is in one of those areas colored for flooding of depths from 25 to 40 feet. Seriously? And everyone down here has soooo much faith in the Army Corps of Engineers. As for what's happening to the west of us, in Cajun country...it's just heartbreaking.

I need drugs.

(Photo by Matthew Hinton. He describes how he took the shot here, since, believe it or not, some people are trying to dismiss it as Photoshopped.)

7 comments:

Barbara Caridad Ferrer said...

Wish I had a good bottle of something to offer you. Keeping Louisiana in my thoughts and hoping for the best.

paz said...

I read they opened the Morganza Spillway. And the Bonne Carre has been openned for a couple of days. I the volume of water we are taking about is just confounding.

I too hope for the best.

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Also, thank you for the link to the photographer's work ... the protest was impressive.

Steve Malley said...

Man, I sure do love that town... And it certainly does delight in worrying me! Stay safe and stay dry!

RevMelinda said...

Holding my breath (and praying) for you and all the people along the Mississippi.

orannia said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and your neighbours - the whole area.

cs harris said...

Barbara, a bottle of something sounds like a good idea...

Paz, yes, that has helped enormously. They're no longer talking 40 feet of water. We drove over the Bonnet Carre spillway on Saturday and it was beyond amazing.

Barbarb, thank you.

Steve, we went to Audubon Park to look at the river yesterday, and heard a Fe Do Do as we were walking up to the levee. Seems there was a "Steam Fest" planned for the weekend, and they went ahead and had it--within view of the flooding river. It's a crazy place.

Melinda, it's been such a tragedy for so many people--and so many animals.

Orannia, thank you.