Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mama Mia!


Yes, I know it got bad reviews, but I don’t care. I love this movie.

I meant to go see it when it was in the theaters, but a couple of hurricanes and a looming book deadline got in the way. So during the holidays, Steve and I sat down to watch the DVD with my daughters. All four of us laughed so hard our stomachs hurt. To appreciate this, you need to understand that my daughters hate ABBA. I mean, they were virtually born hating ABBA. And they still loved this movie.

No, it’s not profound. And yes, it’s silly. That’s one of the things that makes it so much fun.

But the amazing thing is, that at one point—where the Meryl Streep character is helping her daughter dress for her wedding—I also cried. Not as in laughed-so-hard-I-cried, but cried because my heartstrings were tugged. Any time a movie can make me laugh and cry, it’s a keeper. I don’t buy many movies, but I bought this one.

So if you’re in need of a good laugh and you haven’t seen it, grab some popcorn. Just don’t forget to keep watching when the credits start to roll. I still smile at the image of “Mr. Darcy” strutting on stage in a priceless imitation of Elvis Presley.

12 comments:

Steve Malley said...

The one that gets me: 'Winner Takes it All', with Meryl and Pierce Brosnan.

Now you know my secret shame.

Charles Gramlich said...

I have a "very" hard time with musicals. But Lana might like it.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this movie too and I'm with both you and Steve. I have now seen it sooooo many times as dd, 9, and I'm not tired of it.

I now also have to listen to the sound track continuously but there is something 'freeing'about singing ABBA at the top of your lungs as you do the school run!

midnightcajun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cs harris said...

Ha, Steve; yeah, that one got me too.

Charles, you might enjoy it. This is a musical that pokes fun at musicals.

Liz, I want the soundtrack!

laughingwolf said...

i've heard nothing but good things about it here in the great white north, candy

i'll look into it, cuz both my daughters will likely love it...

Anonymous said...

Product discount master app, Discount master by autoketing, autoketing
Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

Anonymous said...

When you arrive, the radiologist asks you about your medical history. It also asks if you are in the menopause, if you are on hormone therapy,
friv10games club free games, juegos kizi-2018, gogy xyz 2 player

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started.
rally point 6 games , pixel escape online games to play , free climber online ,

Anonymous said...

Many people look at you have got to exact footwork prior to writing. Can be conceivable to help you alot more pleasing article like this
cars simulator games to play , nighty knight games to play , fnaf world games ,

Anonymous said...

That's why its more practical that you may appropriate study previous to developing. You'll be able to post more significant posting like this
games online for kids
jogos friv gratis

LINH NGUYEN said...

jogos io gratis
friv Games to play
2player game online
I quite like the many written content, I've got to declare my spouse and i loved, My spouse and i would really like more details relating to this specific, mainly because it is quite wonderful., Thanks a lot with regards to disclosing