Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Treading Water


It’s the ol’ One Step Forward, Two Steps Back routine. The week before last, I went up to the lake and wrote pages and pages of manuscript. All excited to type up the fruits of my labor and press on with my rough draft, I came home and…got sick. Spent the entire following week in bed, too groggy-headed even to write. I’m now on the road to recovery, but my sense of panic has crept back.

What I’m reading…
THE STORM, by Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the LSU Hurricane Center, about what went wrong before and after Katrina, and why, and how it’s all going to happen again because the US Government is doing NOTHING to fix the lethal combination of problems they’ve created—degradation of the wetlands, loss of the barrier islands, the Funnel caused by the Intracoastal Waterway and the MR GO… Probably not the most comforting reading as we head into the danger zone of the hurricane season! A popular sign around town: Make Levees not War.

No comments: